12 Jun 2023
14 INSEAD case studies recognised as The Case Centre best-sellers worldwide over past 50 years
INSEAD, the Business School for the World, has earned a new distinction showcasing its world-class calibre in publishing exemplary case studies. Fourteen INSEAD cases are recognised among the most popular cases distributed worldwide by The Case Centre over the past 50 years, with six of them ranking in the top 10, more than any other school.
The news is announced today when The Case Centre, the top global organisation dedicated to promoting the case method in management education, celebrates Top 50 cases in 50 years, as part of its 50th anniversary.
INSEAD cases ranked among the top 50 are:
- No. 2 - Unilever in Brazil (1997-2007): Marketing Strategies for Low-income Consumers by Pierre Chandon and Pedro Pacheco Guimaraes
- No. 4 - Swatch by Helen Chase Kimball and Christian Pinson
- No. 5 - Virgin Atlantic Airways: Ten Years After by Jean-Claude Larreche and Pantéa Denoyelle
- No. 6 - Zantac (A) by Reinhard Angelmar, Christian Pinson and Hugh Dixson
- No. 8 - Andersen Consulting (Europe): Entering the Business of Business Integration by Sumantra Ghoshal and Mary Ackenhusen
- No. 9 - Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) in 1988 by Sumantra Ghoshal
- No. 13 - The Evolution of the Circus Industry (A) by W. Chan Kim, Renée Mauborgne, Ben M. Bensaou and Matt Williamson
- No. 15 - Marks & Spencer and Zara: Process Competition in the Textile Apparel Industry by Michael Pich, Ludo Van der Heyden and Nicolas Harle
- No. 17 - Ford Ka (A): Breaking New Ground in the Small Car Market by Markus Christen, David A. Soberman and Gigi Cothier
- No. 22 - Electrolux: The Acquisition and Integration of Zanussi by Sumantra Ghoshal and Philippe Haspeslagh
- No. 23 - Canon: Competing on Capabilities by Sumantra Ghoshal and Mary Ackenhusen
- No. 31 - Lincoln Electric in China (A) by Ingmar Björkman and Charles Galunic
- No. 39 - Branson's Virgin: The Coming of Age of a Counter-cultural Enterprise by Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries and Robert Dick
- No. 40 - Even a Clown Can Do It (B): Cirque du Soleil Recreates Live Entertainment by W. Chan Kim, Renée Mauborgne, Ben M. Bensaou and Matt Williamson
INSEAD’s world-class faculty, recognised for their research and effective teaching methodologies, are crucial to the school’s reputation in providing a top-quality international business education. Built on a solid research foundation, the high calibre of INSEAD cases consistently achieves international recognition and winning numerous awards.
Regarding INSEAD’s exceptional case performance, Lily Fang, INSEAD Dean of Research and Professor of Finance, said:
“This prestigious recognition in The Case Centre is yet another testament to the thought-leadership of our faulty. It re-affirms the school’s commitment to research and teaching excellence which resonates with global business practitioners .”
Professor Pierre Chandon, whose case has been consistently ranked in the top 10 and this year #2, commented,
“I believe that Unilever in Brazil has been so successful because it addresses an important issue – how to create value for low-income consumers – and because it shows that the marketing approach 'get out of the office, find what your customers want, and give it to them’ works, especially when ‘what customers want’ and ‘how to give it to them’ is really not intuitive for more privileged students.”
INSEAD's international reputation as "The Business School for the World" is rooted in the relevance and rigour of its research, teaching, and learning materials. Leveraging their privileged access to industry executives, entrepreneurs, and experts, INSEAD faculty and research staff produce more than 60 new cases annually, continually enriching the school's academic portfolio. These cases provide robust insights that seamlessly integrate theory and practice from diverse countries and cultures. Beyond sparking engaging class discussions on critical management issues, INSEAD cases empower students to enhance their strategic decision-making skills and become stronger leaders.
View the complete list of winners of the Case Centre's the Top 50 cases from 1973-2023 here.